Monday, September 16, 2013

A Poem by Sarah Thursday


Ramble

I do not have it
it did not come today
      
all my thoughts
are disconnected

how loud my cat is purring

I didn't sleep well

I had a crappy day

I miss all my friends
for a hundred different reasons

how unclear my future is

how teaching can be exhausting

I have too much love inside
but I won't give it away easy

there are too many tightropes
of going too far
of not going far enough

how I know what I need to do
but can't for the life of me
be the one who does it

I'm always questioning
my honesty

when I should fight
when I should let it all go

I can't stop biting my nails

I can't find a home
in someone else's heart

we are all compartmentalized
like a bento box
all on the same plate
but always on separate sides

I pulled all my anchors
or cut them or dragged them
either way I'm drifting

even though I own my house
and I have a steady job

I'm so damn independent
I want some more dependence

or a place to rest my head
and hear a heartbeat

that knows what I know

that will anchor me
and I can be home
 
 
 
 
Sarah Thursday was mostly raised in Long Beach, California.  She teaches 4th and 5th grade, is obsessed with music, and has only recently dove into poetry again. She has forthcoming or has been published in Stylus Magazine, The Long Beach Union (CSULB), The Atticus Review, Eunoia Review, East Jasmine Review, Yonic South, poeticdiversity, and a project called Please Judge: Short Stories Based on the Songs of Roky Erickson. She has also made five chapbooks over the years. Recently, she has become the editor of Cadence Collective: Long Beach Poets, almost by accident, but completely on purpose.

1 comment: